Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Germany

Living in Germany these past few years (and two years while in College) has been the highlight of my life. I love this country and the people I have met while living here. I have created my own little world, complete with family and friends. It is the place my parents visit during the holidays so we can celebrate with our German family (this family is comprised of very close friends that, over the years have become a part of our life).  We celebrate birthdays, weddings (my German “brother” Christoph just got married), Christmas, New Years and everything in between.  I have been able to experience Germany through the eyes of a local, and traveled around the country visiting all these families. From the small picturesque town of Bad Wildungen (my home away from home), to Trier, Erfurt, and Halle I feel as if Germany has become my home.
 Bad Wildungen
 The Snow White Castle in Bad Wildungen
 
 
Because of my love of this amazing country, it comes as no surprise that I LOVE showing my American friends around when they come to visit. Living in Wiesbaden, one of my favorite destinations is the wine region along the Rhein river.  My mother’s best friend from high school, a wonderful man that has become my uncle and mentor over the years, decided to join my parents and I for a week in Germany.  I put together a wonderful tour consisting of two of my favorite villages in Germany, Rüdesheim am Rhein and Sankt Goar.  Rüdesheim is a beautiful winemaking village located on the Rhein river.  You can spend an afternoon walking around the old part of town, complete with cobblestone streets, charming German buildings, and wonderful restaurants and cafes where you can sample the local wine.


Rüdesheim
 

You also have the opportunity to either hike up through the vineyards of Niederwalddenkmal, or take a gondola up to the top of the hill where you can experience the breathtaking views of the Rheingau.




Continue down the Rhein River to my next favorite destination of Sankt Goar. What I love about this drive, are the castles along the way. They are scattered along the river one right after another, mostly in ruins. The drive is about 25 minutes, and who can see at least six or seven castles along the route.
To get to Sankt Goar, you need to cross the river. There is a ferry terminal where you can load your car. The trip across the river takes about 10 minutes and costs about 8€ round trip.  The main attraction for me in the town is Burg Rheinfels, or Rheinfels Castle.  Most of the castle is in ruins, although the outer portion has been made into a luxury hotel and restaurant. I love to tour the ruins  which offer incredible views along the river, and finish my trip with either a coffee or a glass of wine in the hotel restaurant.


 Rheinfels Castle

1 comment: