Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Two birds with one stone- Scuba Diving in Malta


I have written about Iceland before, and I guarantee that I will write about it again mainly because it was the greatest adventure of my life to this date. Not only do I write about it, but I find myself talking about it in any situation where travel becomes the theme (which for me, it does in most cases), and I tend to gravitate towards people who have also been there. So, it was because of Iceland that I was able to cross TWO adventures off my bucket list in one weekend!

In the army, we conduct what is called a PAI, or personnel accountability inventory, where we show our ID tags and ID cards, and update any paperwork that may be delinquent in regards to admin.  As easy as this sounds, the army has a tendency to make anything and everything more difficult than it needs to be.  While sitting waiting for my turn to go through the ringer, I started talking to Lea, the Major sitting next to me. It started off pretty basic- talking about work and regular army stuff.  She asked what I do and I mentioned that I am in the process of getting out of the military to start the next path of my life, although I have yet to figure out what that path is. I have been contemplating a few different options to include traveling, moving to Australia, or staying in the Reserves in Germany. What I want pretty much changes every other day, so who knows how I will feel next week. During the timeframe where I was speaking with her, I was leaning towards joining the reserves.  But I am getting a little off topic here.  I never know how or when it happens, but eventually every conversation turns to travel, and this was no different. After a few minutes, we were trading stories on our most recent excursions when she mentioned a trip to Iceland. This, of course, caught my undivided attention. I sat in awe listening to her tell of glacier climbs, and jeep rides through the country. We both sat reminiscing about how Iceland is the most beautiful country we had ever seen.

When two women find something in common, we form a bond. It is a natural reaction and one that allows us to form friendships in the most unlikely places. And I promise, a PAI is not the most common of places to make a new friend.  This being said, we formed a bond and Lea gave me the name of a friend of hers that is currently serving in the reserves in Germany.  “You should definitely call her,” she told me as her name was called.  “She can give you some tips on the reserves, and she also loves to travel!” And with that, my new friend had opened the doors to my next great adventure.

That afternoon I decided to call the reservist, a First Lieutenant (1LT) named Shawnee. We planned on meeting the next day for lunch at the German Cantina on post. We sat and talked about the reserves for a while, and she gave me some very interesting tips. But as with everything else in my life, the topic quickly turned to traveling.  Just as we were finishing up our lunch, she mentioned her next big trip was going to be to Malta over the April four day. My excitement began to bubble in my chest, causing my pulse to increase and my cheeks to flush. Malta?? I had been dying to go there ever since I saw a picture of the Corinthian hotel in Valetta while staying at a sister Corinthian hotel in Lisbon, Portugal. After drinking like a fish until 0700, and waking up 2 hours later in order to catch a boat tour (where I proceeded to vomit into the boat toilet for the majority of the ride), I ended up spending the remainder of the day holed up in my hotel room watching “Click” with Adam Sandler and ordering room service. During a commercial, I decided to flip through one of the magazines on my bedside table and saw, for the first time, a picture of Malta. It was love at first sight, and from that moment on I had made a vow that I would visit one day. So when Shawnee mentioned there was room for one more in the villa they had rented and asked if I wanted to go, I screamed “YES!” as quickly and breathlessly as a woman who has been dating a man for 14 years when he finally asks her to marry him.  “Yes! A thousand times yes!”

That afternoon, I was added to the facebook event and I saw where we would be staying. A beautiful villa, called The Chataeu, located in the south-east part of the island near a picturesque fishing town called Marsaxlokk.  You can rent this villa yourself, which if you are going with a group- I highly recommend: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p326753.

Our Villa
 
 

The most amazing part, if you are there over a weekend, is the fresh fish market on Sunday mornings. Since you will have a fully stocked kitchen, you can buy fresh fish and cook up a feast fit for a king! But I will talk more about that later. If you stay at the chateau, I would suggest renting a car, since it is a little out of the way. Even if you end up staying in downtown Valetta, I would still rent a car since the beauty of Malta can fully be experienced as you drive through the countryside. Small rentals cost around 85euro for four days, which is worth every cent.

As I perused the facebook thread detailing the trip, I noticed there was a lot of talk about scuba diving which was also on my bucket list. Could there be a possibility to kill two birds with one stone and sign up for scuba lessons?? There were 10 people on this trip, 4 of which were certified scuba divers, and one other girl named Annie who wanted to learn.

Shawnee’s husband Steve was the trip planner for this weekend, and a master diver to boot. When my interest in scuba was noticed, he did some digging around and found a dive shop that would be able to get me certified in two days, if I was able to complete the PADI online elearning course prior to my arrival in Malta.  Although I plan on talking in great detail later in this article about the amazing adventure of scuba and the unforgettable people at Neptunes diving in Balluta Bay, I would like to add the website link here so you all can begin your cyber stalking of the greatest dive shop in the world! Yes I am a bit biased, but the crew at Neptune’s deserves all the accolades that I can provide (not to mention Martin, one of the shop owners, has received the Star Performers Award on numerous occasions for being voted the number one tourist site in Malta).  So, here is the link, and you can also find them on facebook: http://www.neptunesdiving.eu/.

 

My excitement for this trip tucked neatly away in the back of my head, I began the 12 hours online PADI course. At this point I am not going to lie…it was tedious! Because I am a nerd, and I don’t like to fail, I decided that I would take copious notes throughout the course. I continued hour after grueling hour, almost developing carpal tunnel, to ensure a study guide for any reader that would like to earn a scuba license. These notes, all 25 pages and 10,647 words, are available for anyone who asks for them in the comment portion of this post. You’re welcome.

Finally with the PADI elearning behind me, and my proof of accomplishment printed out and tucked neatly away in the hot pink documents carrier that I have been traveling with for the last 15 years, I began to pack. And yes, I am a procrastinator and did not finish my online portion until the day prior to departure. I am lucky I finished it that fast, and didn’t have to spend two hours the first night in our villa on the computer! Congrats to me!

I will not bore you with the details of our travel to the airport, or the flight to Malta, but I will mention that upon arrival on the evening of 3 April when we picked up our rental cars, I discovered that we/ I would be the driver of our car and that we would be driving on the left side of the road. When I approached our little silver bullet I, of course, went to the left side of the car. When I realized that there was no steering wheel, my heart began to race. No, I did not think someone stole it. I am not a complete moron. However, I began to have flashbacks about the first time I had driven on the other side of the road.

The year was 1997. I was 17, a junior in high school, and my varsity basketball team had spent the summer on the other side of the word in New Zealand and Fiji playing basketball. It was a glorious summer/ New Zealand winter. I went skydiving for the first time, got my first tattoo, met a boy with whom I would write to for the following 5 years…and drove for the first time on the wrong (yes, I said wrong) side of the road.  It shouldn’t come as a surprise that I had some difficulty, since I had only had a drivers license for just over a year and we all know how teenage girls drive! My first accident was when I was 16, when I drove my car onto a curb because I was singing and dancing while driving and apparently couldn’t dance without losing control of the car. But I digress yet again. On this occasion, it was a roundabout that was the culprit. In the normal world, we approach a roundabout with the intension of turning to the right, which is what I did. Wrong decision! I was supposed to turn left, and at that moment I found myself driving headfirst into oncoming traffic! So I did what any 17 year old would do, and drove the car off the side of the road and blew out 2 tires. Welcome to New Zealand!

So you can understand my panic when I hoped into the driver seat at the Valetta Airport in Malta.  Luckily, we made it to the villa safe and sound that night, without accident or incident. I can’t say the same for another member in our group who side swiped a parked car. I would like to high five myself here for being an excellent driver while laughing mercilessly and pointing a finger at the girl for hitting another vehicle 5 minutes into our trip, but I ended up doing the exact same thing the following morning, which put in me in my place and kept my ego in check.
 
Our scuba lessons were scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, so Friday morning we made a recon drive into Balluta Bay to meet with our instructors, fill out paperwork, take our PADI written exam, and get fitted for our wetsuits.

No one ever tells you when describing a scuba experience, the graceless dance required to put on a wet suit. Instead, we jump straight ahead to images of a snuggly fit second skin as only the backdrop to the full diving ensemble. You also expect them to keep you warm, but that is another topic all together.  But what I have recently discovered, is that there should have been some preparation, some “how to” class on stuffing the extra rolls of fat and skin (the result of far too much wine and chocolate cake) into what I now like to call “the suit of death.”
 
 Annie and I

Lea looking good!






Nail polish ruined and nails broken, Annie and I sat down to take our PADI exam. Being the type “A”person that I can be at times, I took pleasure in comparing our correct and incorrect responses, doing the “I am the Greatest” dance when I scored one point higher than she did. Yes, I am a total ass.
 
Once we completed all prerequisites for our dive the following morning, we set out to start exploring the island. Since this was the only full day we would all have together, we decided to drive to the northern part of the island, and hop a ferry over to the island of Gozo in order to see the Azure window.
I had only seen a picture of the Azure window on pinterest (where I tend to spend the majority of my days while at work in total and utter boredom), and was ecstatic to be able to cross that off my Malta “to see” list.
The drive out was breathtaking. Although the countryside of Malta is beautiful, Gozo was beyond words. The sprawling landscape, dotted with churches that graced even the smallest of villages, had me in awe.


One of my favorite things is to take pictures of doors. I am not sure why, but there is something about a beautiful door that can brighten my day. What we found, was Gozo was one beautiful door after another. When we first drove off the ferry, we found we were stopping every few minutes to take a picture. Realizing that we would never make it to the Azure window if we stopped at EVERY beautiful door we saw, we began to limit our pictures which allowed us to make it to the coast 30 minutes before the sun was setting. 
 
Azure Window


 
This beautiful photo was taken by Annie


 Annie and I enjoying the sunset
 
The next morning was our first day of scuba school, or death by hyperthermia as I like to call it. When I picture Malta, I imagine the beaches and the hot sun beating down. However, this was not the case for us. It was the first weekend of April, and the scorching heat of summer had yet to make an appearance. It was sunny, but windy with temperatures in the low 60s F (around 15 C). For someone that gets cold as easily as I do, this was NOT ideal. I figured that once we got in the pool and began our training, I would forget the cold and get lost in the instruction. This did not happen. I spent the entire day running in and out of the bathroom, jumping in the shower and running hot water over me between dives to warm up my frozen hands and blue lips.
 Annie and I- Buddy Checks complete!
 
The pool day was hilarious. My friend Annie and I were doing a private class, which was perfect since we set the pace. Aside from us both freaking out a little during our first 30 seconds breathing underwater, we eased through the training.  Although the lessons on removing our regulators and clearing our masks were obnoxious, the biggest roadblock we faced was attempting to maintain buoyancy. It wasn’t just the buoyancy, but the fact that we both kept rolling in laughter while watching the other attempt control which caused some issues. I remember two distinct times where I almost peed in my wetsuit (on accident- I won’t lie and say that I never happily peed during our open water dives in an attempt to warm me up- because I did). The first was in the pool where we removed our weight belts underwater and then had to put them back on. Annie went first. We both sank to the bottom of the pool and watched as Dora, our amazing instructor from Hungary, showed us the steps. Like any instructor, Dora made everything look easy. Annie, on the other hand, made it look like the most difficult thing in the world. I ended up having to clear my mask three times in about 3 minutes due to my excessive and uncontrollable laughter while watching Annie try to reattach her belt. She literally was doing barrel roles while Dora tried to hold her in place. She would put it on her lower back while facing the bottom of the pool, and get dragged around 180 degrees.  It doesn’t sound all that funny while I write this, but you have to trust me when I say that she looked absolutely ridiculous! I won’t say anything more, since I experienced the same embarrassment during my attempt.
The second time I almost peed myself was our first open water dive. During our initial descent, I sunk pretty easily to the bottom (the one and only time I went down smoothly). Annie, on the other hand did not. As she began to release air from her vest she began to sink tank first, feet pointed directly up towards the surface and out of the water. I am not exactly sure what she was doing, but I got a good laugh at it. Again, I can’t make fun of her too much, since I did the same thing the following day.
With our first day of diving behind us, Annie and I set out to explore a little of Malta. We spent the evening driving around Valletta, stopping to take pictures along the way. It is hard to describe the beauty of the city. Annie and I pulled over at one point, and stared at the harbor for a good 30 minutes. I can only describe it as a feast for the eyes, for wherever you looked you were met with rich architecture and deep blue water. I have taken some photos, although they do not fully articulate the beauty of the city.
 Valetta
Grand Harbor
The next morning Annie, Lea and I set off for our final day of diving. If all went well, Annie and I would have our open water cert, and Lea would have her advanced open water cert. We arrived at the dive shop and began loading vans with all our equipment. We all piled in and drove along the coast for about 25 min to the area where we would spend our day.
Malta is not necessarily known for its Marine life, but more for its shipwrecks. Being strategically located during the Second World War, there are various shipwrecks for eager divers and historians to explore. For our three open water dives, we would be looking at the HMS Maori. According to Martin, the dive shop owner, the Maori was one of the first ships sent to Malta and it played an integral role in the destruction of the Bismarck in 1941.
Before I go into the details of our dives, I need to make one important announcement that, like my fear of heights, is rather embarrassing. For any normal human that is excited about diving, getting out of the pool and into the open water would be a source of excitement. This is not the case for me. I have an irrational fear of sharks. I tell people this fear derived from my previous life as a mermaid, a lie I have repeated so many times that I am now beginning to believe as truth. Too many hours spent watching Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid” as a child molded this belief. But the truth is…I was never a mermaid. My fear comes from my older sister being a complete ass.
Every summer during the 1980’s and 1990’s, my parents and I would spend our summer vacation camping in Lake Shasta, California. We would rent ski boats, jet skis, banana boats…you name it. Water sports and s ‘mores were the backbone of our summer! At six years old, my body was too lanky and awkward to succeed at water skiing, so riding on the banana boat on the back of the speed boat was my greatest joy. I would laugh out loud as we hit rough water, causing all riders to bounce up and down.
In 1986, two days before leaving for Shasta, my older sister Aleta asked if I wanted to watch a movie with her. Aleta and I are 10 years apart in age, so she NEVER wanted to hang out with me. So when she asked to watch a movie, I almost pissed my pants in excitement!  The movie of the day was “Jaws: The Revenge.” If you have never seen this particular gem, there is a very vivid scene where a bunch of people are riding around on a banana boat when the devil creature Jaws comes up behind the boat, and attacks a girl riding on the back of the banana. He locks his jaws around her legs and mid section, dragging her bleeding body underwater while she helplessly punches him in the nose, trying to escape. I didn’t get on another banana boat until 2008, when I rode one in Korea. Since that fateful summer, I do not go in open water. I have been to Bali, Thailand, Hawaii, and Greece…and you will never see me get in passed my knees.
The only reason I agreed to scuba dive, aside from me putting it on my bucket list, was the promise that there have been no shark attacks in Malta in 100 years.  It did take a great deal of courage before I closed my eyes, and took that first step into the freezing cold ocean.
Our first dive was simple, going over skills and exploring close to our entry point. I remember finding a pair of goggles on the sea floor and hoping that when I took a closer look, there would be the words “P. Sherman 42 Wallably Way, Sydney” written on the band. The second dive, we went a little farther out, and ended up swimming through a wall of jellyfish. I was terrified of getting stung and having to ask Annie to pee on my leg, but due to the freezing water, we were fully covered and able to swim directly through their tentacles. Our third and final dive was the shipwreck of the Maori.
 
 Me chillin'
 Annie and Dora
Lea, Dora, Annie and I by the Maori
With our new PADI certs in hand, the three of us decided to celebrate by visiting the silent city of Mdina and the popular café “fontanella” which is known for its chocolate cake. Mdina is a medieval walled city situated on a hill in the middle of a valley. It is truly one of the quietest towns I have ever visited, the only real noise being the sound of the wind as it bounces off the buildings. It is rather small, but you can spend a lazy afternoon getting lost in the alleyways and taking in the slick architecture.
Mdina
On our last morning Annie, Lea and I explored Marsaxlokk, ending our trip with a delicious lunch by the water.



If you ever have a chance to visit Malta, don’t miss it! It is the trip of a lifetime!
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment